Thursday, July 19, 2012

Kim's Corn Chowder


Kim’s Corn Chowder

I sometimes think people have visions of me feeding my daughters kale off the stem as they graze willingly like two Greek goddesses.  I really wish this was the case and if at any point in time I have painted that picture for you I am sorry.  For the record, I doctor up food, I’m not too proud to bribe and there are plenty of foods the girls don’t eat!

Most of my food creations come from finding new ways to get vegetables into my family’s diet.  My girls are at the point now that they look at most of the vegetables I am preparing and say, “I don’t like that mom.”  It’s killing me.  So I just keep inventing new ways for them to like them. 


Kim’s Corn Chowder
Ingredients:  1 head of cauliflower, 1 head of broccoli, 1 onion, 1 bag of frozen peas, ½ bag frozen chopped spinach, 7 ears of corn, 2 cups of water, 2 cups of whole milk, 2 cups of Pacific low sodium chicken broth, 1 table spoon of butter, ranch dressing

Tools: 2 large pots, a blender, tongs, small bowl, knife, spoon, ladle, 2 large storage containers for prepared chowder

Time:  About 45 minutes

1.)   Prep the corn – Husk and boil the corn in a large pot
2.)   Rinse and chop broccoli and cauliflower
3.)   Peel and slice onion
4.)   Put broccoli, cauliflower, onion, bag of peas, ½ bag of frozen chopped spinach, 2 cups of water, 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth, 2 cups of whole milk in a very large pot (the biggest one you have)
5.)   Put stove on medium high, stir every few minutes and let the soup come to a boil
6.)   When soup comes to a boil shut off the stove and add 1 tablespoon of butter and continue to stir for the next few minutes
7.)   Take the corn out of the pot and cut the kernels off the cob – If the corn is hot use tongs to hold the cob while you cut the kernels off and place kernels into a separate bowl
8.)   Scoop out soup into the blender – fill the blender about half way trying to ration the liquid and the vegetables equally and blend until ingredients are a thick soup consistency and repeat until all the soup has been blended and placed in large storage containers
9.)   Add the corn in and stir

Serve with a teaspoon (or tablespoon depending on the size of your bowl) of Marie’s Ranch Dressing and add pepper to your liking.  For variety add shredded cheddar cheese in place of the ranch dressing.

This yields a lot!  Be prepared to freeze one container.  To freeze let soup cool down for at least a half hour.  Then, cover in an airtight container and place in the freezer.

You are not serving this at your next cocktail party (or maybe you are;).  However, It gets the job done for a weeknight side of veggies!  Get creative.  Make it a real chowder and add fish.  Make it a complete meal and add fish and quinoa! 

Happy chowder making!

Love deeply and eat mindfully,
Kim Gilroy – Insideout Wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment