Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Armed and Ready


Armed and Ready!


I love the summer because I can eat meals outside.  Which means one less time I have to wash the table, chairs and floor!  The task of cleaning the kitchen is my “Ground Hogs Day.”  My sister-in-law refers to cooking and cleaning the kitchen as a full contact sport.  And I have to agree with her! 

I don’t have any secrets to make cooking and cleaning an easier part of your day.  All I can recommend is to be armed and ready:

1.) Buy fruits and vegetables that can be rinsed and cut up ahead of time and stored in containers.   
  • Watermelon
  • Cantaloupe
  • Berries
  • Grapes
  • Carrots
  • String beans
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Cucumbers
    • Remember if you are feeding toddlers pieces must be cut up very small.  My daughters still have a hard time with raw veggies.  I do a quick boil to soften and then add some grated cheese and olive oil for flavor. 
When your fruits and vegetables are rinsed and cut it makes for easy snacking and cuts down on meal preparation time. 

*2.) Have a few pre-made sandwiches in the refrigerator.
  • Peanut butter or almond butter sandwich.
  • A summer favorite for my husband’s family is cream cheese and jelly sandwiches.
    • Kim’s version - 1 serving size of organic firm tofu and two tablespoons of cream cheese mixed together (I like to use the food processor).  You can use an all-natural fruit spread or shred some carrots for a vegetable spread.  I like adding the tofu because it gives the sandwich triple the protein!
  • A hummus sandwich with a serving of cheese on it or on the side.
Having pre-made sandwiches is great.  You can use them as a quick breakfast or throw them in your bag on your way to work.  They are great if you are on the go or looking to get out of the house for a picnic to take it slow:) 

3.)   Hard boil eggs and use them for a quick breakfast or to make egg salad sandwiches.

4.)   Buy a precooked rotisserie chicken or turkey breast and use slices of that for your sandwiches instead of cold cuts.  Also helpful to have when you need a quick dinner.

*All sandwiches should be made with Ezekiel – Food for Life Bread, which can be found in the frozen food section of most grocery stores.

So excited to be back in action!   Please share any of your armed and ready tips!

Love deeply and eat mindfully,
Kim Gilroy




1 comment:

  1. Great blog post Kim! Love the tofu/cream cheese idea! (:

    ReplyDelete