Sunday, June 2, 2013

Don't Be Lazy


“Don’t Be Lazy”


I recently read an article in the April/May 2013 issue of Image magazine written by Jill S. Cohen.  The article was a summary of an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow.  It was about living a healthy sustainable life by choosing to cook more and making more local food choices.  I enjoyed the article and I also enjoy Paltrow’s goop website.  In the article Paltrow was quoted, “Don’t be lazy.” 

I struggled with this quote.  As a coach of 7 years and a teacher for 5, I always found it effective to instruct with positive language.  “You’re doing great, but I need you need to . . . ”;  “Just focus and try your hardest!”;  “Awesome, but I know you have more in you . . .“; and so on.  I did my fair share to perpetuate the “over-praised generation” label that some give to the age group that I was involved with.  I took Paltrow’s stark admonishment personally and it conjured a range of emotions.

The first emotion was anger.  Who is she to suggest that hard-working people trying to make ends meet are lazy because they don’t have the time to cook every meal?  How much help does she have?  The second emotion was empathy for people just beginning the wellness journey.  To them I say: “Take each meal, each day, each grocery store trip, each farmers market experience, one step at a time.  You’re doing great!”   My third emotion was . . . agreement.  It takes a lot of effort to make healthy choices and I often find myself thinking throughout my own wellness journey . . . ”Don’t be lazy.”

Check out Gweneth’s goop site.  She has some great recipes and wellness tips.  I tried one of her chicken meatball recipes.  Delicious!   Of course I added veggies to my chicken balls.  Check out the recipe below. 


   1 pound ground chicken (preferably dark meat) – I used free range white meat
   ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
   ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
   1 garlic clove, very finely minced
   1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger – I used 1 ½ teaspoons
   1 tablespoon soy sauce -  I used gluten free low sodium soy sauce
   2 teaspoons good-quality maple syrup – I used 1 teaspoon
   2 tablespoons neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or safflower oil) – I used coconut oil
   I added 3 finely minced carrots and ½ head of bok choy finely minced
   Lee's Hoisin Sauce for serving -  I served with rice noodles and extra bok choy and carrots

Thoroughly mix the chicken with the salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and maple syrup. Roll the mixture into golf ball–sized meatballs. Grill, roast, broil, or pan-fry the meatballs until they're cooked through and serve with Lee's Hoisin Sauce.  
I did not serve with the Lee’s Hoisin Sauce.  I will post the noodle recipe next time I make them (sorry, it was a little of this and a little of that).


Enjoy!  Experiment and take each day one meal at a time.  You are doing awesome;)

Love deeply, eat mindfully (and overpraise someone who may need the encouragement),
Kim Gilroy




No comments:

Post a Comment