Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Monday Morning Comeback!


The Monday Morning Comeback!

If my fellow graduates saw the things I ate on a Saturday night or a Sunday fun-day, someone might take away my certificate!

This weekend we were at a wedding and I was sitting next to an acquaintance that also happened to be extremely passionate about health and wellness.  We shared cooking ideas and she told me she was reading up on Integrative Nutrition (the program I received my certificate from).  We relished in our conversation about the benefits of eating well and the importance of good quality food.  All the while, I was buttering my roll, cleaning my plate and taking bites of my husband’s steak dinner.  I also found complete delight in the amazing desserts that were served.  I really wasn’t holding back on indulging and a piece of me wondered if this girl might think I was a fraud!

Recently I was out to dinner with a group of friends and they all turned to me looking for friendly advice on ordering healthy.  I told them it was Saturday night and they should order whatever they want!  I really try to leave room for my favorites on Saturday night and Sunday morning.  But more importantly for me, it’s a time to not think about every morsel.  It’s a time to get out of my kitchen and try not to over think food. 

Alas, the holistic health police have not come knocking on my door (thank goodness because I love what I do). But Monday mornings always do and it’s back into gear!  This week I made a killer comeback breakfast.  It left me with a ton of energy and excited for the next morning to have it again! 

Enjoy!!!!





Chocolate and Peanut Butter Amaranth  
(Gluten and Dairy Free)
½ cup of cooked *amaranth
2 ½ teaspoons of peanut butter or sun butter
1 teaspoon of 100 % cocoa powder
¼ of a large banana sliced or half of a small banana
2 teaspoons of hemp seeds

In a small pot combine the first four ingredients and heat on medium mixing all the ingredients together.  When the ingredients start to bubble remove pot and place the ingredients into your bowl.  Mix in hemp seeds and enjoy this powerhouse breakfast!

*Amaranth can be found in the bulk bins at most health food stores.  It is a gluten free grain.  Cooking 1 cup of amaranth:  Let soak for a few hours.  Rinse and put into a pot with 2 ½ cups of water.  Bring to a boil and then bring heat down to a simmer, cover and let it cook for about 20 minutes.  All the water should be absorbed. 

Love deeply and eat mindfully,
Kim Gilroy - kimgilroyinsideout 



No comments:

Post a Comment